RENO, Nev. - Installation of the new FieldTurf at the University of Nevada's Mackay Stadium got underway Monday.
The project, which involves installing 80,213 square feet of FieldTurf, will take approximately two weeks with the scheduled completion date set for August 1. The new turf will feature Nevada in the north end zone and Wolf Pack in the south and Nevada's official logo at mid-field. The design will also have alternating lighter and darker shades of green every five yards.
Q&D Construction spent all last week removing the old turf, and FieldTurf installers began work on the new surface Monday morning.
"We're very excited about the installation of new FieldTurf at Mackay Stadium," Nevada senior associate athletics director for internal operations Keith Hackett said. "Replacing the turf will be a first-class upgrade for Mackay Stadium and will greatly benefit our student-athletes. The FieldTurf crew is hard at work, and Mackay Stadium should be ready for the start of football and women's soccer practices this fall."
Nevada is replacing the original artificial turf installed prior to the 2000 season with the newest version of the FieldTurf product. The project is being funded through the generous support of a group of Nevada donors.
FieldTurf is the global market leader in terms of synthetic sports fields with more than 4,000 fields installed. Twenty-one of the NFL's 32 teams have chosen FieldTurf in their stadiums and/or practice facilities, while more than 100 top NCAA football programs currently play and/or practice on FieldTurf. For more information, visit http://www.fieldturf.com.
This week, nevadawolfpack.com is live streaming the installation of the new FieldTurf at Mackay Stadium. A time-lapse video of the removal of the old turf is also available by clicking on the arrow on the photo above.
You can watch the live streaming by following these instructions:
- Navigate to the "Multimedia" menu item near the top of this page
- Click on "Media Player" or click here
- When the media player pops up, you will see an ad
- At the conclusion of the ad, click "Close" on the right side of the window
- On the top-right side of the window, click "Live Events". You can click "Close" any time, but must wait until the conclusion of the ad to click "Live Events"
- You should see a link to the FieldTurf installation--click that
- After a moment, the live video should appear on your screen
The video feed will be available from 8:30 am until 4:30 pm each day this week.