Happy 2015! On behalf of our nearly 400 student-athletes, coaches and staff, please accept my best wishes for a wonderful New Year.
As we quite literally turn the page on a new year in our calendar and begin a new academic semester on campus, I wanted to peek backward for a brief opportunity to share some really good news from the recently completed fall semester.
In addition to beating UNLV in football and bringing the Fremont Cannon back to the north for all Nevada fans to enjoy, we enjoyed success in another important area that you should have great pride in knowing.
During the fall semester, our teams earned a collective grade-point average (GPA) of 3.019 on a 4.0 scale. That's a B average for all 400 student-athletes. Our athletic successes are readily evident. It's important to recognize our academic successes as well and I believe these results show the effort and dedication of our student-athletes in the classroom.
The results are highlighted by:
- - 3.207 GPA for all women's teams
- - 2.849 GPA for all men's teams
- - Five teams with a 3.0 GPA or better: Women's basketball, women's cross country, women's golf, women's swimming and diving and rifle. Five additional teams with a 2.9 GPA: Baseball, men's tennis, softball, women's soccer and women's tennis
- - 177 students (44% of all student athletes) earned a 3.0 GPA or better - every sport had at least two students with this GPA
- - 16 students earned a perfect 4.0 GPA - represented in these sports: Women's swimming and diving (4 students), women's track and cross country (4), baseball (2), rifle (2), women's basketball, women's golf, softball and football
We are grateful to the academic leadership across campus. At all levels of this university we enjoy great support. We are united in our efforts to promote student success - in the classrooms, libraries, residence halls, student support services, admissions and financial aid and many other areas of campus. Many thanks to our faculty and staff for supporting the Pack and helping students pursue success.
We are thankful for the great support of Wolf Pack fans as well. Your support through ticket purchases and donations helps to make these results possible. You are helping us grow the program and we are grateful. We are in need of additional support in purchasing laptops and funding important summer school classes - please let me know if you or your company is interested in making a tax deductible contribution to help make this possible for these talented students.
Lastly, our continuing gratitude to the many families who helped fund and build the Marguerite Wattis Petersen Academic Center - a facility which continues to add tremendous value to Wolf Pack Athletics every day.
Happy New Year Wolf Pack Nation!