LAS CRUCES, N.M. -- The Nevada women's tennis team moved into the semifinals of the WAC Championships with a 4-0 victory over Idaho on Thursday at the NMSU Tennis Center.
Nevada won the doubles point with victories at No. 2 by Alice Hall and Ly-Huong Dinh and at No. 3 by Lais Ogata and Florence De Vrye.
The Wolf Pack then got three quick singles victories to close out the match. Maria Mizyuk, ranked No. 72 in the country, won at the No. 1 spot in straight sets. No. 116 Caroline Bailly took a straight-set win at No. 2 singles and Ogata won at No. 5, also in two sets.
Nevada, the third see in the tournament, will play the winner of today's match between No. 2 Boise and No. 7 Utah State on Friday.
Tennis Match Results
University of Idaho vs Nevada
Apr 24, 2008 at Las Cruces, N.M.
(NMSU Tennis Center)
#71 Nevada 4, University of Idaho 0
1. #72 Maria Mizyuk (NEV) def. Silvia Irimescu (IDAHOW) 6-1, 6-2
2. #116 Caroline Bailly (NEV) def. Barbara Maciocha (IDAHOW) 6-0, 6-1
3. Alice Hall (NEV) vs. Yvette Ly (IDAHOW) 4-6, unfinished
4. Florence De Vrye (NEV) vs. Alexandra Ulesanu (IDAHOW) 6-4, unfinished
5. Lais Ogata (NEV) def. Jana Siwa (IDAHOW) 6-1, 6-0
6. Ly-Huong Dinh (NEV) vs. Natalie Kirch (IDAHOW) 6-4, 3-2, unfinished
Order of Finish: 2, 5, 7
Did Not Finish: 3, 4, 6
1. #43 Maria Mizyuk/Caroline Bailly (NEV) vs. Silvia Irimescu/Laura Leoni (IDAHOW) 6-5, unfinished
2. Alice Hall/Ly-Huong Dinh (NEV) def. Alexandra Ulesanu/Yvette Ly (IDAHOW) 8-1
3. Lais Ogata/Florence De Vrye (NEV) def. Barbara Maciocha/Natalie Kirch (IDAHOW) 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2
Did Not Finish: 1
University of Idaho 16-10
Nevada 9-10; National ranking #71
WAC Championships - Quarterfinals
Nevada - No. 3 Seed
UI - No. 6 Seed