Reno, Nev. The Nevada women’s tennis team won its fourth straight match with a 7-0 shutout of Houston on Friday at the Wilbur D. May Tennis Complex.
The Wolf Pack improved to 12-8 on the year and has now won six of its last seven matches. The shutout was Nevada’s third of the season. Houston fell to 13-7 on the season.
Nevada swept all three doubles matches to win the doubles point and then took all six singles matches in straight sets.
“The team worked hard for this one,” second-year coach Sylvain Malroux said. “Houston is a good team and they didn’t just give this to us. We had to work for it and I am proud of our team.”
Nevada will be back in action on Sunday for its final regular season match of the season. Seniors Bach-Lan Pham and Fiorella Velez will be playing their final home matches of their Wolf Pack careers as Nevada plays host to Middle Tennessee State.
No. 62 Nevada 7, Houston 0
At Wilbur D. May Tennis Complex
1. No. 48 Caroline Bailly/Maria Mizyuk (NEV) def. Loli Gomez/Leila Salek, 8-6.
2. Ly-Houng Dinh/Bach-Lan Pham (NEV) def. Anna Djananova/Sonja Nikolic, 8-4.
3. Fiorella Velez/Alice Hall (NEV) def. Vicky Simpson/Neila Starratt, 8-3.
1. Bailly def. Salek, 7-5, 6-2.
2. Mizyuk def. Gomez, 6-4, 7-6 (0).
3. Dinh def. Nikolic, 6-2, 6-2.
4. Hall def. Simpson, 6-4, 6-2.
5. Velez def. Djananova, 6-3, 6-2.
6. Pham def. Starratt, 6-3, 6-3.