Pack Get By Tech 4-3
RENO, Nev.—The Nevada women’s tennis team (5-4, 1-2) narrowly defeated Texas Tech (5-5) by a score of 4-3 at Lakeridge Tennis Club Sunday.
“It was a great match,” Head Coach Sylvain Malroux said. “We fought really hard to come out on top.”
In the doubles matches, Texas Tech won two of three, with No. 2 and No. 3 both going to tiebreakers.
After losing the first point of the match, Nevada responded by taking the first three singles matches contested, closing out the match with a win in the No. 6 position.
The win moves the Pack above .500 for the first time since they opened the season with a 4-3 win on the road at Hawaii. It was the fourth straight win for the women’s team, which has not lost since Feb. 7 against Oregon.
Nevada will next compete when they travel to Sacramento, Calif. to take on the Gaels of Saint Mary’s Saturday.
Feb. 28, 2010
Lakeridge Tennis Club
Nevada 4, Texas Tech 3
Doubles: Order of Finish 1,2,3
1. Garland/Leitch (TTU) def. Mizyuk/Stevens (NEV) 8-1
2. Ullathorne/Starck (TTU) def. De Vrye/Lombard (NEV) 9-8 (7-3)
3. Ogata/Verberne (NEV) def. Dynka/Potgieter (TTU) 9-8 (7-4)
Singles: Order of Finish 1,3,4,2,5,6
1. Mizyuk (NEV) def. Dynka (TTU) 6-1, 6-4
2. De Vrye (NEV) def. Ullathorne (TTU) 6-3, 4-6, 7-6 (7-4)
3. Verberne (NEV) def Leitch (TTU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Garland (TTU) def. Ogata (NEV) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
5. Starck (TTU) def. Stevens (NEV) 6-2, 6-2
6. Laurioux (NEV) def. Aviles (TTU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-3