April 26, 2014
FRESNO, Calif. - In a Mountain West Championshp quarterfinal match with No. 2 New Mexico on Saturday, the University of Nevada women's tennis team was defeated by a score of 4-2.
The No. 7 Wolf Pack's season came to an end with a quarterfinal loss in the Mountain West Championships to the No. 2 Lobos on Saturday. The match had been originally scheduled for Friday, but inclement weather pushed all quarterfinal matches back to Saturday. The Wolf Pack went 2-for-6 six in singles play, and no doubles play was held in the loss due to the late start.
Nevada got off to a quick 2-0 lead, notching victories on courts one and two to begin the day. Michelle Okhremchuk rolled past Misa Bezdickova in straight sets, 6-3, 6-0 for the first victory. Sheila Morales followed suit by dispatching Lizette Blankers, also in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3. That would be all for Nevada, as the Lobos would win the next four courts to advance to the semifinals.
An updated bracket can be found on TheMW.com at: http://www.themw.com/#!/page/championship_w-tennis.
Tennis Match Results
Nevada vs. Grand Canyon
Apr 26, 2014 at Reno, Nev.
(Sierra Sport and Racquet Club)
#2 New Mexico 4, #7 Nevada 2
- Michelle Okhremchuk (NEV) def. Misa Bezdickova (UNM) 6-3, 6-0
- Sheila Morales Hidalgo (NEV) def. Lizette Bankers (UNM) 6-2, 6-3
- Meredith Hopson (UNM) def. Sheila Smiley (NEV) 6-4, 6-3
- Natasha Smith (UNM) def. Caroline Konigsfeldt (NEV) 6-2, 6-0
- Dominique Dulski (UNM) def. Juliette Legendre (NEV) 6-2, 6-2
- Rachana Bhat (UNM) def. Monika Magusiak (NEV) 6-4, 7-6(7-3)
- Okhremchuk/Morales Hidalgo (NEV) vs. Bezdickova/Blankers (UNM) DNP
- Smiley/Legendre (NEV) vs. Dulski/Smith (UNM) DNP
- Konigsfledt/Magusiak (NEV) vs. Bhat/Baklini (UNM) DNP
#7 Nevada: 12-10, 2-3 MW
#2 New Mexico: 16-7, 4-1 MW
Order of Finish: Singles (1,3,2,4,5,6)
#2 New Mexico will play in the semifinals later today.
-- @NevadaWolfPack --