April 14, 2013
LAS VEGAS – The Univeristy of Nevada women’s tennis team went down to the wire with No. 48 San Diego State, but couldn’t pull out the victory, falling by a score of 4-3 on Sunday.
The Wolf Pack (9-6, 2-3 MW) dropped its second match in as many days after the loss to the Aztecs (15-4, 4-0 MW). Nevada snatched the doubles point to begin the day but closed it out with only two singles victories. Head coach Guillaume Tonelli was still proud of the way his team competed.
“It was a tough day, and even though things didn’t go our way, we were in the match until the very end,” he said. “San Diego is a good team, ranked number 48 nationally, but we battled with them and that’s all I can ask of our girls.”
Nevada was victorious in positions one and two in singles, as Michelle Okhremchuk and Emma Verberne both picked up wins. Okhremchuk rolled past Julia Wais 6-4, 6-4, while Verberne powered past Alicia Aguilar in extended straight sets 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (7-0).
In doubles, Okhremchuk and Verberne teamed together to roll past the pair of Michela Casanova and Laura Iriarte by a score of 8-2. From position two, Juliette Legendre and partner Sophie Stevens were victorious against Wais and Kristin Buth 8-6.
The Wolf Pack is in action again on Saturday when it faces New Mexico in a Mountain West showdown beginning at 1:30 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Nevada, Reno vs San Diego State
April 14, 2013 at Las Vegas, NV
(Fertitta Tennis Complex)
#48 San Diego State 4, Nevada, Reno 3
1. Michelle Okremchuck (UNR) def. Julia Wais (SDSU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Emma Verberne (UNR) def. Alicia Aguilar (SDSU) 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (7-0)
3. Laura Iriarte (SDSU) def. Sophie Stevens (UNR) 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (7-3)
4. Kristin Buth (SDSU) def. Sheila Smiley (UNR) 6-0, 6-0
5. Tami Nguyen (SDSU) def. Juliette Legendre (UNR) 6-2, 6-4
6. Michela Casanova (SDSU) def. Monika Magusiak (UNR) 7-5, 6-3
1. Michelle Okremchuck/Emma Verberne (UNR) def. Michela Casanova/Laura Iriarte (SDSU) 8-2
2. Sophie Stevens/Juliette Legendre (UNR) def. Julia Wais/Kristin Buth (SDSU) 8-6
3. Alicia Aguilar/Isabelle Hoorn (SDSU) def. Sheila Smiley/Carolina Konigsfeldt (UNR) 8-4