April 13, 2014
RENO, Nev. -- The University of Nevada women's tennis team was defeated in its final home contest of the season on Sunday by No. 74 Fresno State, 5-2.
The Wolf Pack (11-8, 2-2 MW) was playing in front of its home crowd for the final time in spring 2014, but couldn't overcome the nationally ranked Bulldogs (12-9, 5-0 MW). The loss evened the Pack's conference record, and brought its home mark to 6-3. Nevada would grab only three matches on the day against nationally ranked Fresno State in the loss.
"It was exciting to play our final match at home this season against the top team in the conference," said Guillaume Tonelli, Nevada women's tennis head coach. "They're nationally ranked so it was a great challenge for us, but we still have some work to do. We'll try and finish strong against San Jose State, who we've beaten once already this season."
Doubles play kicked off the day, but it was a slow start for Nevada. The Wolf Pack trailed in all three doubles matches at one point, but was able to storm back to snatch the doubles point by going 2-for-3. The first win came from the duo of lone Nevada senior Michelle Okhremchuk and freshman Sheila Morales on court one, where they pushed past the twin duo of Anneka and Sophie Watts, 8-6. Nevada took the point after Caroline Konigsfeldt and Monika Magusiak outlasted Tanya Murtagh and Anne Susdorf on court three, 8-7(7-4).
Fresno State took the first two singles matches to erase Nevada's early lead, but Sheila Morales knotted the match at 2-2 by knocking off Rana Sherif Ahmed on court two, 6-3, 6-4. However, that would be all for Nevada, as Fresno State would grab the last three singles matches to end the day.
Nevada will be in action again when it travels to face San Jose State for its Mountain West action in preparation for the Mountain West tournament on Friday, April 18 beginning at 11 am.
Tennis Match Results
Nevada vs. Fresno State
Apr 13, 2014 at Reno, Nev.
(Caughlin Athletic Club)
Fresno State 5, Nevada 2
- Sophie Watts (FS) def. Michelle Okhremchuk (NEV) 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
- Sheila Morales Hidalgo (NEV) def. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) 6-3, 6-4
- Sofya Malysheva (FS) def. Sheila Smiley (NEV) 6-2, 6-0
- Anneka Watts (FS) def. Caroline Konigsfeldt (FS) 6-4, 6-2
- Anne Susdorf (FS) def. Juliette Legendre (NEV) 6-4, 6-3
- Tanya Murtagh (FS) def. Monika Magusiak (NEV) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
- #78 Okhremchuk/Morales (NEV) def. A. Watts/S. Watts (FS) 8-6
- Sherif Ahmed/Malysheva (FS) def. Legendre/Smiley (NEV) 8-2
- Konigsfeldt/Magusiak (NEV) def. Murtagh/Susdorf (FS) 8-7 (7-4)
Nevada: 11-8, 2-2 MW; Fresno State: 12-9, 5-0 MW
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,4,2,5,1,6)
-- @NevadaWolfPack --