Nevada Hands No. 57 Boise State First Conference Loss
RENO, Nev. - The University of Nevada women's tennis team defeated No. 57 Boise State in nail-biting fashion, 4-3, Sunday at Caughlin Club.
The win was Nevada's third in a row, pushing its record to 8-9 (3-1 WAC). The loss was the first within the WAC for the Broncos, as they fell to 14-7 (4-1 WAC) on the year.
Head coach Sylvain Malroux stressed that the team played very well as a whole in the victory over the Broncos.
"This was an amazing win for the women's team, an incredible battle, where everyone from top to bottom wanted this win so badly," he said. "They fought so hard."
The Wolf Pack came back from an early 1-0 deficit after Boise State won at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles.
Four singles matches went three sets, and Nevada won at No. 2 - No. 5 singles to earn the four points needed to take the match.
In what became a pattern during singles play for Nevada, Florence De Vrye, Emma Verberne and Aodhnait Lombard won their first sets, lost their second and then hung on to win the third.
"As a coaching staff we are so proud of all of them," Malroux said. "It is a fantastic reward for their hard work."
With Boise State up 3-1 and one point away from clinching the match, De Vrye, Verberne and Lombard won to complete the comeback victory. De Vrye won 6-2, 4-6, 6-3, while Verberne won 6-4, 2-6, 6-3. Lombard closed out her match by 6-4, 3-6, 6-1 score.
Next up for the Pack is Utah State, at home Friday at noon.
April 10, 2011
Nevada 4, No. 57 Boise State 3
1. Lais Ogata/Emma Verberne (NEV) def. Lauren Megale/Marlena Pietzuch (BSU) 9-8 (6)
2. Elyse Edwards/Sonia Klamczynska (BSU) def. Michelle Okhremchuk/Gabriela Eufrasio (NEV) 8-5
3. Stephanie Jasper/Sandy Vo (BSU) def. Sophie Stevens/Aodhnait Lombard (NEV) 8-5
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Megale (BSU) def. Okhremchuk (NEV) 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
2. Florence De Vrye (NEV) def. Klamczynska (BSU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
3. Ogata (NEV) def. Jasper (BSU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Verberne (NEV) def. Edwards (BSU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
5. Lombard (NEV) def. Pietzuch (BSU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
6. Vo (BSU) Stevens (NEV) 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish: 3, 6, 1, 4, 5, 2