April 4, 2014
SAN DIEGO, Calif. -- The University of Nevada women's tennis team couldn't pull out a victory on the road, falling to San Diego State by a score of 6-1.
The Wolf Pack (10-7, 1-1 MW) was defeated by the Aztecs (8-10, 2-1 MW) in Southern California, evening Nevada's conference record. The loss also evens the Pack's away record at 5-5. Nevada was 1-for-3 in doubles play, and was 1-for-6 in singles action in the loss to San Diego State.
"It was a tough day, but we have to get back up and be ready for Sunday," said Guillaume Tonelli, Nevada head coach. "We're ready to defend our home court against UNLV."
In doubles action, the team of Michelle Okhremchuk and Sheila Morales were victors on court one, as they topped Dora Somoracz and Hailey Johnson by a score of 8-2. In singles play, the lone victory came from Juliette Legendre on court five. There, she bounced Somoracz by a score of 6-4, 6-3.
UNLV is currently 8-8 overall and 1-1 in the Mountain West, but will compete against San Jose State in Las Vegas before meeting with the Wolf Pack. The last time out for UNLV was also a loss to Fresno State, by a score of 4-3. It has won two of its past five matches, with victories over Oregon and UC Santa Barbara. Leading the way for UNLV is No. 58 Lucia Batta, who holds a 12-4 mark in spring 2014, all from court one.
The match will also have more meaning than just Mountain West play, as the contest will also count towards "The Governors Series presented by NV Energy." Governors series points will be on the line in, but due to the potential of meeting in the Mountain West tournament, no points will be awarded until the season's conclusion. The Rebels currently lead the Wolf Pack in this years series 18-9.
The battle with UNLV will begin at 11 am on Sunday, April 6 at Nevada's home courts of Caughlin Athletic Club.
Tennis Match Results
Nevada vs. San Diego State
Apr 4, 2014 at San Diego, Calif.
San Diego State 6, Nevada 1
- Laura Antonana (SDSU) def. Michelle Okhremchuk (NEV) 7-6(1), 6-2
- Kristin Buth (SDSU) def. Sheila Morales Hidalgo (NEV) 6-1, 2-6, 10-4
- Tami Nguyen (SDSU) def. Sheila Smiley (NEV) 6-2, 6-3
- Kennedy Davis (SDSU) def. Caroline Konigsfeldt (NEV) 6-1, 7-5
- Juliette Legendre (NEV) def. Dora Somoracz (SDSU) 6-4, 6-3
- Isabelle Hoorn (SDSU) def. Monika Magusiak (NEV) 6-1, 6-0
- Okhremchuk/Morales (NEV) def. Somoracz/Johnson (SDSU) 8-2
- Buth/Davis (SDSU) def. Legendre/Smiley (NEV) 8-3
- Antonana/Hoorn (SDSU) def. Magusiak/Konigsfeldt (NEV) 8-3
Nevada: 10-7, 1-1 MW; San Diego State: 8-10, 2-1 MW
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,3,5,1,2,4)
-- @NevadaWolfPack --