April 1, 2012
RENO, Nev. – Sophie Stevens won her third set to defeat Olga Kirpicheva 6-3, 3-6, 6-4 in Nevada’s 6-1 loss to No. 57 Fresno State Sunday at the Wathen Tennis Center.
The loss dropped the Wolf Pack to 3-8 (0-1 WAC), while the Bulldogs improved to 10-6 (3-0 WAC).
The win was Stevens' second in as many days on the singles courts at Wathen, as she won 7-5, 6-3 over April Scatliffe of UCSB on Saturday. It was her fifth overall win in dual play this season.
Michelle Okhremchuk pushed the 47th ranked singles player in the country, Marianne Jodoin, to three sets at the first singles position. Jodoin took the third-and-final set 6-2 to take the match, 7-5, 3-6, 6-2. The win put Fresno State up 4-1 and clinched the match for the Bulldogs.
Two other sets, Emma Verberne’s second with Aishwarya Agrawal, and Rymma Maslova’s first with Tanya Murtagh, went to tiebreakers. The Bulldogs took each set, with the Pack unable to rebound from the close defeats and earn match wins.
Nevada will open competition at home in its next match, taking on UC Davis at 11 a.m. on April 6 in Reno.
Fresno State, 6 Nevada, 1
Fresno, Calif. (Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center)
1. #47 Marianne Jodoin (FS) def. Michelle Okhremchuk (NEV), 7-5, 3-6, 6-2
2. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) def. Emma Verberne (NEV), 6-4, 7-6(6)
3. Sophie Stevens (NEV) def. Olga Kirpicheva (FS), 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
4. Bianca Modoc (FS) def. Juliette Legendre (NEV), 6-0, 7-5
5. Laura Pola (FS) def. Gabriela Eufrasio (NEV), 6-1, 6-1
6. Tanya Murtagh (FS) def. Rymma Maslova (NEV), 7-6, 7-5
1. Okhremchuk/Verberne (NEV) def. Jodoin/Murtagh (FS) , 8-4
2. Modoc/Melissa McQueen (FS) def. Legendre/ Stevens (NEV), 8-6
3. Pola/Agrawal (FS) def. Maslova/Eufrasio (NEV), 8-4 (1,3,2)