Sheila Smiley in action during spring 2014. Photo by Jake Ward.
March 29, 2014
RENO, Nev. - The University of Nevada women's tennis team couldn't defend its home court on Saturday, as the Wolf Pack was topped by Grand Canyon by a score of 5-1.
The Wolf Pack (10-6, 1-0 MW) saw its five-match winning streak come to an end with the loss to the Antelopes. Both teams battled through tough conditions, as strong gusts of wind and swirling rain clouds threatened to wash out the match, which had been moved to Saturday from its originally scheduled date on Sunday.
"We played a tough team in very challenging conditions, and unfortunately today we failed to adjust and take on the battle," said Kristian Kuharszky, Nevada assistant coach. "We have to learn from this and do it much better in the upcoming matches."
Because of the weather conditions, the match started with singles play and doubles play would only be held in case of a tiebreaker. Doubles play would not be needed, as Nevada could muster only one victory in the loss to Grand Canyon.
Nevada fell dropped the first set on all but the first singles court, and was not able to recover as Grand Canyon took a 4-0 lead early. The lone win of the day for Nevada came from Michelle Okhremchuk on court one, where she dropped Priscilla Annoual by a score of 6-1, 7-6(7-4). The victory was the 12th of the spring, and 21st victory of 2013-14, two shy of a personal best. That would be all for Nevada, as the Antelopes took the final match of the day. No doubles action was played.
The Wolf Pack will be in action again on April 4, 2014 when it travels to San Diego to battle San Diego State at 11 am in a continuation of Mountain West play.
Tennis Match Results
Nevada vs. Grand Canyon
Mar 29, 2014 at Reno, Nev.
(Caughlin Athletic Club)
Grand Canyon 5, Nevada 1
- Michelle Okhremchuk (NEV) def. Priscilla Annoual (GCU) 6-1, 7-6 (7-4)
- Tatum Prudhomme (GCU) def. Sheila Morales Hidalgo (NEV) 6-3, 6-1
- Janaki Gunuganti (GCU) def. Sheila Smiley (NEV) 6-2, 7-5
- Frederique Van de Velde (GCU) def. Caroline Konigsfeldt (NEV) 6-4, 6-0
- Silvia Tumova (GCU) def. Juliette Legendre (NEV) 6-1, 6-3
- Alexandra Petrzalkova (GCU) def. Monika Magusiak (NEV) 6-3, 6-2
- Okhremchuk/Morales Hidalgo (NEV) vs. Annoual/Prudhomme (GCU) DNP
- Smiley/Legendre (NEV) vs. Gunuganti/Van de Velde (GCU) DNP
- Konigsfledt/Magusiak (NEV) vs. Tumova/Petrzalkova (GCU) DNP
Nevada: 10-6, 1-0 MW
Order of Finish: Singles (4,2,5,6,1,3)
-- @NevadaWolfPack --