Michelle Okhremchuk in action during spring 2014. Photo copyright Jake Ward.
March 23, 2014
RENO, Nev. - It was a record setting day for Michelle Okhremchuk on Sunday as the University of Nevada women's tennis team topped Pacific by a score of 5-2.
The Wolf Pack (9-5) won its fourth straight match on the courts of Caughlin Athletic Club with the victory over the Tigers (6-8). Nevada took 2-of-3 doubles matches to snag an early lead, and was 4-for-6 in singles play en route to its 5-2 win. The final victory of the day came from Michelle Okhremchuk, and with it she set the all-time career singles record at Nevada. She now has 84 in her career, surpassing Tracy King's record (83) set 23 years ago.
"It was a very exiting and a special moment for me," Okhremchuk said. "I thank everyone for the support and especially my team because i couldn't have done it without them."
It was Okhremchuk and partner Sheila Morales Hidalgo that opened up the match, as they were victorious over Hana Ritterova and Regina Suarez on court one, 8-6. After Pacific took the match on court two, Caroline Konigsfeldt and Monika Magusiak outlasted Francis Dean and Gergana Boncheva, 8-6, on court three to give Nevada the early 1-0 lead.
Sheila Smiley made the lead 2-0 Nevada after she ousted Cristina Saenz De Buruaga on court four, 6-4, 6-0. Pacific cut the lead in half to 2-1 by taking court three, but Nevada took control again when Sheila Morales Hidalgo stopped Ritterova in the battle of the southpaws on court two, 7-5, 6-2. Pacific again pulled the match to within one at 3-2, but Nevada would not let them get any further, as Juliette Legendre knocked off Boncheva, 6-4, 7-6(7-3) before Okhremchuk bounced Iveta Masarova, 7-6(8-6), 7-6(8-1).
Nevada will be in action again on Friday, March 28 on its home courts of Caughlin Athletic Club when opens Mountain West Conference action against Colorado State at 9 am.
Tennis Match Results
Nevada vs. Pacific
Mar 23, 2014 at Reno, Nev.
(Caughlin Athletic Club)
Nevada 5, Pacific 2
- Michelle Okhremchuk (NEV) def. Iveta Masarova (PAC) 7-6(8-6), 7-6(8-1)
- Sheila Morales Hidalgo (NEV) def. Hana Ritterova (PAC) 7-5, 6-2
- Frnacis Dean (PAC) def. Caroline Konigsfeldt (NEV) 6-4, 6-1
- Sheila Smiley (NEV) def. Cristina Saenz De Buruaga (PAC) 6-3, 6-0
- Juliette Legendre (NEV) def. Gergana Boncheva (PAC) 6-4, 7-6(7-3)
- Regina Suarez (PAC) def. Monika Magusiak (NEV) 6-3, 6-4
- Okhremchuk/Morales Hidalgo (NEV) def. Ritterova/Suarez (PAC) 8-6
- Masarova/Saenz De Buruaga (PAC) def. Smiley/Legendre (NEV) 8-3
- Konigsfledt/Magusiak (NEV) vs. Dean/Boncheva (PAC) 8-1
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,3,2,6,5,1)
-- @NevadaWolfPack --