Monika Magusiak in action during fall 2013
Feb. 12, 2014
DAVIS, Calif. - The University of Nevada women's tennis team pushed its winning streak to four on Wednesday by defeating UC Davis on the road by a score of 5-2.
The Wolf Pack (4-1) are unbeaten since dropping its opening match after the victory over the Aggies. Nevada dropped the doubles point to start the day, but rebounded by finishing 5-for-6 in singles play to win the match. It was a win that showed the team's character, according to head coach Guillaume Tonelli.
"The girls really battled today and pulled out a tough win," he said. "They were down but clawed their way back and showed their hard work in the victory."
In singles play, the first victory of the day came from Michelle Okhremchuk. After Nevada was down 2-0, the senior was able to get Nevada on the board by moving past Megan Heneghan in straight sets 6-4, 6-4. Sheila Morales Hidalgo continued her stellar freshman campaign, dropping Layla Sanders 7-5, 6-4. Caroline Konigsfeldt picked up her first singles victory of the season, defeating Nicole Koehly in straight sets 6-4, 6-3. Juliette Legendre a victory in her first singles match of the spring season, getting by Kamila Kecki in an extended set 7-6 (1), 6-7 (4), 6-2. Monika Magusiak brought home the final victory of the day to remain perfect at 5-0 on the season, as she was victorious over Tiffany Pham 7-6 (4), 7-6 (4).
The lone doubles victory of the day came from Legendre and teammate Sheila Smiley, downing Pham and Samantha Martino by a score of 8-4.
The Wolf Pack will be in action again when it travels to Arizona to face Northern Arizona University on Feb. 21 at 12 pm.
Tennis Match Results
Nevada (4-1) at UC Davis (2-3)
Feb. 12, 2014 at Davis, Calif.
(Marya Welch Tennis Center)
Nevada 5, UC Davis 2
- Michelle Okhremchuk (NEV) def. Megan Heneghan (UCD) 6-4, 6-4
- Sheila Morales Hidalgo (NEV) def. Layla Sanders (UCD) 7-5, 6-4
- Caroline Konigsfeldt (NEV) def. Nicole Koehly (UCD) 6-4, 6-3
- Melissa Kobayakawa (UCD) def. Sheila Smiley (NEV) 6-4, 6-0
- Monika Magusiak (NEV) def. Tiffany Pham (UCD) 7-6 (4), 7-6 (4)
- Juliette Legendre (NEV) def. Kamila Kecki (UCD) 7-6 (1), 6-7 (4), 6-2
- Sanders/Koehly (UCD) def. Okhremchuk/Morales Hidalgo (NEV) 8-5
- Heneghan/Kobayakawa (UCD) def. Konigsfeldt/Garcia Planas (NEV) 8-0
- Smiley/Legendre (NEV) def. Pham/Martino (UCD) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,1,2,3,5,6)
-- @NevadaWolfPack --