Sheila Smiley in action during fall 2013
Jan. 14, 2014
OAHU, Hawaii - The University of Nevada women's tennis team was defeated in its season opener against host Hawai'i on Tuesday, falling by a score of 5-2.
The Wolf Pack (0-1) kicked off the season by notching two singles victories and one doubles win, but ultimately fell to the Rainbow Wahine. Nevada had the opportunity to come away with two other singles matches as both the No. 1 and 2 courts had at least a 10-point tie-breaker to decide the match. Though they were not victorious, head coach Guillaume Tonelli still thought the team fought to the end.
"They showed their perseverance out there today," he said. "A couple of matches did not bounce our way, but the girls did not give up, and we will bring that spirit again tomorrow."
Sheila Smiley grabbed the first singles win of the day for Nevada, as she was able to defeat Sarah Gealer in straight sets, 6-1, 7-5. Monika Magusiak snatched the other victory, downing Kelsey Daguio 6-4, 6-3.
The Wolf Pack will be in action again in Oahu on Wednesday when it faces off against No. 65 San Jose State at 11 a.m.
Complete Match Results
Hawai'i vs. Nevada
Jan. 14, 2014
UH Tennis Complex
Order of Results: 2, 1, 3
1. Michelle Okhremchuk/ Sheila Morales Hidalgo (UN) def. Cindy Nguyen/ Xenia Suworowa(UH), 6-4
2. Sarah Gealer/ Paulina Petriskova (UH) def. Sheila Smiley/ Monika Magusiak (UN), 6-3
3. Rebecca Faltusz/ Kelsey Daguio (UH) def. Juliette Legendre/ Beatriz Garcia Planas (UN), 6-4
Order of Results: 4, 3, 1, 5, 6, 2
1. Cindy Nguyen (UH) def. Michelle Okhremchuk (UN), 1-6, 7-6 (4), 10-8
2. Xenia Suworowa (UH) def. Sheila Morales Hildalgo (UN), 1-6, 7-5, 11-9
3. Sheila Smiley (UN) def. Sarah Gealer (UH), 6-1, 7-5
4. Paulina Petriskova (UH) def. Caroline Konigsfeldt (UN), 7-6 (1), 6-0
5. Monika Magusiak (UN) def. Kelsey Daguio (UH), 6-4, 6-3
6. Rebecca Faltusz (UH) def. Beatriz Garcia Planas (UN), 6-3, 6-3.