OGDEN, Utah The Nevada men’s tennis team bounced back from Friday’s loss at Utah to beat Weber State 6-1 on Saturday at Weber State.
Nevada improved to 4-1 on the season with the victory.
“Our focus and intensity was pretty good today,” second-year Nevada coach Chad Stoloff said. “It was a tough environment to play and the guys responded well. Weber State fought hard and this is a credit to their coach, Jared Burnham. He does a great job with his players.”
Nevada won five of the singles matches and also won the doubles points against the Wildcats.
In singles play, Guillaume Tonelli, Laurent Garcin, Benjamin David and Arzhang Derakhshani all won in straight sets while freshman Augustin Myard needed three sets to win his match in the No. 5 spot. The lone singles loss was by senior Eldar Dzhafarov, who fell in three sets in the No. 4 spot.
David and Garcin teamed for an 8-4 in the No. 2 doubles match and the freshmen, Myard and Derakhshani won the No. 3 match to give Nevada the doubles point.
Nevada will return to action on Feb. 17 when it travels to play Sacramento State in San Luis Obispo, Calif.
Nevada 6, Weber State 1
1. Covington/Schnabl (WSU) def. Tonelli/Dzhafarov (NEV) 8-7
2. David/Garcin (NEV) def. Mancarella/Hintze (WSU) 8-4
3. Myard/Derakhshani (NEV) def. Thompson/Quinn Allred (WSU) 8-5
1. Guillaume Tonelli (NEV) def. Fabio Mancarella (WSU) 7-5, 7-6
2. Laurent Garcin (NEV) def. Mario Schnabl (WSU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Benjamin David (NEV) def. Travis Covington (WSU) 6-0, 6-2
4. David Hintze (WSU) def. Eldar Dzhafarov (NEV) 7-5, 0-6, 6-4
5. Augustin Myard (NEV) def. Chris Williams (WSU) 4-6, 6-2, 10-3
6. Arzhang Derakhshani (NEV) def. Trevor Thompson (WSU) 6-3, 6-2