Victor Ouvrard in action during fall 2013
April 9, 2014
LOGAN, Utah - The University of Nevada men's tennis team evened up its Mountain West record by defeating Utah State by a score of 5-2 on Wednesday.
The Wolf Pack (14-3, 1-1 MW) spoiled Utah State's (9-11, 0-3 MW) return to Logan, Utah, beating the Aggies on the their home courts after returning from eight straight road matches. The victory brought Nevada to .500 in conference play, and improved the Pack's away mark to 7-2. Nevada was 2-for-3 in doubles to seize the early point, and closed the day 4-for-6 in singles action.
"We came through with a tough win today," said Erik Burton, Nevada men's tennis head coach. "We didn't have our normal No. 3 starter (Andrew Poustie) due to illness. The guys really came through in a hostile crowd environment, and they fought through that very well."
It was the No. 45 doubles pair of Victor Ouvrard and Robert Allan who earned the first win of the day for the Pack, with a victory on court one. There, they outlasted Fredrik Peterson and Andrew Whiting, 8-7(8-4), and increased their Nevada single season record for doubles victories with 18. A win from Moez Chargui and Quentin Mege on court two gave Nevada a 1-0 lead, as they took down Dennis Baumgartner and Marcus Fritz, 8-7(8-2).
The Nevada lead was extended to 2-0 after singles play began with a victory from Chargui on court two, where he dropped Fritz, 6-0, 7-5. Utah State cut the match to 2-1, but Fernando Sunago got a point right back by knocking off Whiting on court five, 7-5, 6-3. That's when Ouvrard clinched the match for the Pack by stopping Baumgartner, 6-3, 7-6. The win leaves Ouvrard one win shy of former teammate Wessim Derbel (66) for third place on the Nevada men's career singles victories list. The final victory of the day was on court three, as Mege grabbed Nevada's sixth win by topping Peterson, 4-6, 6-2, 6-3.
The Wolf Pack will be in action again when it travels to Colorado Springs, Colo. to face Air Force on Friday, April 11.
Utah State 2 - Nevada 5
1. Victor Ouvrard (NEV) def. Dennis Baumgartner (USU) 6-3, 7-6
2. Moez Charqui (NEV) def. Marcus Fritz (USU) 6-0, 7-5
3. Quentin Mege (NEV) def. Fredrik Peterson (USU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
4. Sebastian Schneider (USU) def. Ryan Andrada (NEV) 6-2, 0-6, 6-3
5. Fernando Sunago (NEV) def. Andrew Whiting (USU) 7-5, 6-3
6. Tomas Cosmai (USU) def. Robert Allan (NEV) 6-1, 7-5
1. Ouvrard/Allan (NEV) def. Peterson/Whiting (USU) 8-7
2. Mege/Charqui (NEV) def. Baumgartner/Fritz (USU) 8-7
3. Sweet/Schneider (USU) def. Sunago/Andrada (NEV) 8-7
-- @NevadaWolfPack --