March 24, 2012
BOISE, Idaho - Defeating Southern Mississippi 4-3 Saturday, the University of Nevada men's tennis team finished third in the Boise State Spring Break Classic.
With the win, Nevada improved to 7-9 (1-2 WAC). Southern Miss fell to 8-11 (0-2 C-USA)
"Even though we started slow today, we have improved so much throughout the season, and our singles play has been so good, that we were able to earn a comeback win," head coach Erik Burton said.
After dropping the doubles point, the Wolf Pack won at No. 2, 6 and 1 singles to level the match at three with Moez Echargui in the deciding singles contest.
Closing out the match in a three-set thriller, he won 4-6, 6-3, 6-2.
"Our WAC Freshman of the Year hopeful closed it out by cruising in his third set," Burton said about Echargui. "Overall, I am pleased with our progress and how the week went."
Nevada will be off in the upcoming week, taking to the court next on April 6, at noon in Reno, when it meets New Mexico State in a WAC match.
Nevada 4, Southern Miss 3
1. Belloso/Escobar (USM) def. Derberl/Sunago (NEV), 8-6
2. Ouvrard/Mege (NEV) vs. Alvarado/Zeljkovic (USM), DNF
3. Goodwin/Elortegui (USM) def. Echargui/Reix (NEV), 8-6
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Wessim Derbel (NEV) def. Paulo Alvarado (USM), 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
2. Victor Ouvrard (NEV) def. Inaki Belloso (USM), 6-2, 6-0
3. Moez Echargui (NEV) def. Juan Escobar (USM), 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
4. Jovan Zeljkovic (USM) def. Fernando Sunago (NEV), 6-4, 7-5
5. Andrew Goodwin (USM) def. Phillip Hinojosa (NEV), 6-0, 6-0
6. Quentin Mege (NEV) def. Mike Elortegui (USM), 6-3, 2-6, 6-0 Order of Finish: 5, 2, 6, 4, 1, 3