March 23, 2012
BOISE, Idaho - The University of Nevada men's tennis team split two matches on Friday at the Boise State Spring Break Classic. The Wolf Pack defeated Idaho 4-2 in the morning and fell 4-0 to the University of Alabama, Birmingham in the afternoon.
The day's action leaves Nevada at 6-9 (1-2 WAC). Idaho is 8-11 (0-2 WAC), while No. 73 UAB improved to 13-3.
"It is a really tough task to play two matches in a day, and we lead almost the entire match in the morning," head coach Erik Burton said. "We are very much improved after the first few matches of our spring break, with one more to go on Saturday."
Nevada will close the event by taking on Southern Mississippi on Saturday at 1:30 p.m. The winner will earn third place in the event.
In the first match of the day, the Pack defeated Idaho to move into the second round of bracket play at the event. Nevada jumped ahead 1-0 before a 90-minute weather delay forced a halt to the action. When play resumed, Nevada continued to play well, winning three of the five remaining matches to advance.
Nevada's match with Idaho consisted of six singles matches, while Nevada's contest with UAB followed a traditional format.
The Pack won in the first four singles spots, getting victories from Wessim Derbel, Victor Ouvrard, Moez Echargui and Fernando Sunago. All but Derbel won in straight sets, as he was pushed by Abid Akbar, 7-6, 3-6, 6-3.
Against the Blazers, the Pack continued to look for winning pairs in doubles play. Nevada earned a victory from Echargui and Nathan Reix in the third spot. Wins by UAB at the first two positions, however, made the score 1-0 in its favor after doubles play.
Unable to come up with a win in singles play Friday evening's match went to UAB.
Nevada 4, Idaho 2
1. Wessim Derbel (NEV) def. Abid Akbar (UI), 7-6, 3-6, 6-3
2. Victor Ouvard (NEV) def. Marius Cirstea (UI), 6-4, 6-4
3. Moez Echargui (NEV) def. Cristobal Ramos Salazar (UI), 6-2, 6-2
4. Fernando Sunago (NEV) def. Jose Bendeck (UI), 6-0, 6-4
5. Cesar Torres (UI) def. Jordan Rozenfeld (NEV), 6-4, 6-2
6. Alan Shin (UI) def. Quentin Mege (NEV), 6-2, 2-6, 7-6 (7-5)
UAB 4, Nevada 0
Doubles 1. Zimmerman/Puetz (UAB) def. Derbel/Suango (NEV), 8-3
2. Manlow/Moser (UAB) def. Ouvrard/Mege (NEV), 8-3
3. Echargui/Reix (NEV) def. Helliar/Dirube (UAB), 8-3
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
Singles 1. Danny Manlow (UAB) def. Wessim Derbel (NEV), 7-6, 6-3
2. David Zimmerman (UAB) def. Victor Ouvrard (NEV), 6-2, 6-2
3. Chris Helliar (UAB) vs. Moez Echargui (NEV), DNF
4. Daniel Moser (UAB) vs. Fernando Suango (NEV), DNF
5. Lucas Dirube (UAB) def. Jordan Rozenfeld (NEV), 6-1, 6-0
6. Tom Puetz (UAB) vs. Quentin Mege (NEV), DNF
Order of Finish: 5, 2, 1
WOLF PACK BLOG
Friday, January 30, 2015 - General
Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - Rifle
Tuesday, January 6, 2015 - Track and Field
Monday, January 5, 2015 - General
Tuesday, December 23, 2014 - Track and Field
Saturday, December 13, 2014 - General
Friday, December 5, 2014 - Football
Monday, November 17, 2014 - Football
Monday, November 10, 2014 - Women's Basketball
Wednesday, October 29, 2014 - Swimming & Diving
Tuesday, October 28, 2014
Friday, October 17, 2014 - Women's Basketball
Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - Rifle
Monday, October 13, 2014 - Golf
Thursday, October 9, 2014 - Football