Wolf Pack Drops Contest with UAB 5-2
March 20, 2012
BOISE, Idaho – The University of Nevada men’s tennis team dropped its first match at the Boise State Spring Break Classic, losing 5-2 to the University of Alabama Birmingham Tuesday at the Boas Indoor Tennis Center.
The loss dropped the Wolf Pack to 5-8 (0-2 WAC), while No. 73 UAB improved to 10-3.
“Doubles play, along with a few spots in our singles lineup, is where we fell short today,” head coach Erik Burton said. “We need to be better with our mental focus and ability to compete.”
On the doubles courts, the Blazers came out strong, taking each of the three matches contested. At the first spot, Wessim Derbel and Fernando Sunago, Nevada’s strongest doubles pair to date, fell by the narrowest of margins, 9-8. Matches were also tight at the second and third positions, where Nevada went down 8-6.
Derbel backed up strong doubles play with another singles win, his 20th overall and 10th of the dual season. He defeated Daniel Manlow 6-3, 6-4 at the No. 1 position. Derbel is the only player to man the top singles position for the Wolf Pack in dual play this season, posting a 10-3 record.
Victor Ouvrard was responsible for Nevada’s second point, winning 7-5, 6-4 at the second singles position.
The Pack will continue play at the event with a meeting against Southern Mississippi at 3 p.m. on Wednesday.
Men’s Tennis Results
UAB vs. Nevada
March 20, 2012
Boise State University (Boas Indoor Tennis Center)
UAB def. Nevada 5-2
1. Zimmermann/Puetz (UAB) def. Derbel/Sunago (NEV), 9-8
2. Manlow/Moser (UAB) def. Mege/Ouvrard (NEV), 8-6
3. Helliar/Dirube (UAB) def. Reix/Echargui (NEV), 8-6
1. Wessim Derbel (NEV) def. Daniel Manlow (UAB), 6-3, 6-4
2. Victor Ouvrard (NEV) def. David Zimmermann (UAB), 7-5, 6-4
3. Chris Helliar (UAB) def. Moez Echargui (NEV), 6-3, 6-4
4. Daniel Moser (UAB) def. Fernando Sunago (NEV), 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
5. Lucas Dirube (UAB) def. Jordan Rozenfeld (NEV), 6-3, 6-2
6. Tom Puetz (UAB) def. Quentin Mege (NEV), 7-5, 6-2