No. 71 Nevada defeated by No. 28 Pepperdine
Feb. 26, 2014
MALIBU, Calif. - The No. 71 University of Nevada men's tennis team was defeated on Wednesday afternoon, falling to No. 28 Pepperdine by a score of 4-0.
The loss by the Wolf Pack (5-2, 0-1 MW) snaps a four-match winning streak that began on Feb. 1. The Wolf Pack snatched only one doubles win and was blanked in singles, though three singles matches went unfinished as Pepperdine (6-5) had already clinched the match. Head coach Erik Burton is proud of his team after they way they performed against one of the top teams in the country.
"We competed very well today, and we had set points on several courts but couldn't finish against No. 28 Pepperdine," he said. "We did defeat their No. 7 national doubles team and all the doubles matches were extremely close."
The lone victory came from the doubles duo of Victor Ouvrard and Robert Allan, as they extended their doubles record to 7-0 this spring. On Wednesday, they defeated Francis Alcantra and Alex Sarkissian, the No. 7 doubles team in the nation by a score of 8-7 (7-3).
The Wolf Pack will be in action again on Friday, Feb. 28 when it clashes with UC Santa Barbara beginning at 1:30 pm.
Tennis Match Results
Nevada vs Pepperdine
Feb 26, 2014 at Malibu, Calif.
(Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center)
#28 Pepperdine 4, #71 Nevada 0
1. #42 Alex Sarkissian (PEP) def. Moez Chargui (NEV) 6-1, 6-3
2. Francis Alcantara (PEP) vs. Victor Ouvrard (NEV) 7-6, 2-1, unfinished
3. #103 David Sofaer (PEP) def. Quentin Mege (NEV) 7-6, 6-0
4. Stefan Menichella (PEP) def. Andrew Poustie (NEV) 6-2, 6-3
5. RJ Evangelista (PEP) vs. Ryan Andrada (NEV) 3-6, 3-2, unfinished
6. Alexander Solonin (PEP) vs. Fernando Sunago (NEV) 7-5, 2-1, unfinished
1. Victor Ouvrard/Robert Allan (NEV) def. #7 Francis Alcantara/Alex Sarkissian (PEP) 8-7 (7-3)
2. David Sofaer/Tom Hill (PEP) def. Moez Chargui/Quentin Mege (NEV) 8-6
3. Rakshay Thakkar/Pedro Leme (PEP) def. Andrew Poustie/Fernando Sunago (NEV) 8-4
Nevada 5-2; National ranking #71
Pepperdine 6-5; National ranking #28
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,1,3)
-- @NevadaWolfPack --