Nevada Beats Idaho State 4-1 Behind Strong Doubles Play
Feb. 18, 2012
POCATELLO, Idaho - Leveling its record at 4-4 (0-1 WAC), the University of Nevada men's tennis team defeated Idaho State 4-1 Saturday, in its final match of the weekend.
Idaho State fell to 2-7 with the loss.
All three Nevada doubles teams won to begin the afternoon, putting the Wolf Pack ahead 1-0. Doubles pairings have been changing throughout the first month of the season, but all three excelled against the Bengals, winning 8-6, 8-3 and 8-5 at positions 1-3, respectively.
Singles wins for Nevada came at No. 1, No. 2 and No. 4. After Nevada accrued the four points necessary to win the match, the remaining singles tilts were halted.
At one, Wessim Derbel bounced back from a singles loss Friday with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Charles Norman. Victor Ouvrard also won, defeating Nate Gross 7-5, 6-1 at the second position. It was his 10th overall singles win and fourth during the dual season.
Jordan Rozenfeld clinched the match for the Wolf Pack at No. 4 singles, taking out Dan Buckingham 6-4, 6-4.
Nevada will be away from the court until March 2, when the team will open its home schedule with a contest against Sacramento State. The match is currently scheduled for 4 p.m.
University of Nevada Nevada 4, Idaho State 1
Feb 18, 2012 at Pocatello, Idaho (Juniper Hills Country Club)
1. Wessim Derbel (NEV-M) def. Norman Charles (ISU-M) 6-4, 6-2
2. Victor Ouvrard (NEV-M) def. Nate Gross (ISU-M) 7-5, 6-1
3. Krzyzstof Stempien (ISU-M) def. Moez Echargui (NEV-M) 4-6, 7-5, 6-3
4. Jordan Rozenfeld (NEV-M) def. Dan Buckingham (ISU-M) 6-4, 6-4
5. Dakota Pate (ISU-M) vs. Quentin Mege (NEV-M) unfinished
6. Austin Miller (ISU-M) vs. Fernando Sunago (NEV-M) unfinished
1. Fernando Sunago/Wessim Derbel (NEV-M) def. Norman Charles/Austin Miller (ISU-M) 8-6
2. Quentin Mege/Victor Ouvrard (NEV-M) def. Dan Buckingham/Nate Gross (ISU-M) 8-3
3. Nathan Reix/Moez Echargui (NEV-M) def. Dakota Pate/Krzyzstof Stempien (ISU-M) 8-5
Nevada Men's Tennis 4-4
Idaho State Men's Tennis 2-7
Official: Gene Galloway