Feb. 17, 2014
PHOENIX, Ariz. - The University of Nevada men's tennis team swept its road trip through Arizona by blanking Grand Canyon University 7-0 on Monday.
The Wolf Pack (5-1, 0-1 MW) has won four straight matches after defeating the Antelopes, who fell to 2-3 on the season. Nevada was nearly perfect on the day, as the Pack swept the singles matches by going 6-for-6 and controlled the doubles point by finishing 2-for-3. The guys had to show some adversity, according to assistant coach Kristian Kuharszky.
"The guys started a little slow today, but after that they showed good character and fought back hard," he said. "We played a difficult opponent and we had many close matches. I'm happy how the guys responded to the challenge and that we got all the points today."
In doubles play, the duo of Victor Ouvrard and Robert Allan now sit at a perfect 6-0 on the season after a victory on Monday. They defeated the team of Saleem and Schueller by a score of 8-5. Moez Chargui and Quentin Mege were also victorious in their doubles match, bringing down Moulin and Legarreta, also by a score of 8-5.
Nevada was perfect in singles action on the day and was led by Ouvrard, the No. 7 ITA Mountain Region Player. He dropped Saleem on court No. 2 by a score of 6-0, 6-2 to move to 6-0 on the year. Echargui snatched a win on court No. 1 by dropping Moulin in an a three-set battle, 7-6 (5), 6-7 (3), 10-6. Ryan Andrada also moved to 6-0 this spring after he rolled over Collomb in his victory on court No. 4 by a score 7-6 (6), 6-1. Andrew Poustie pulled in a win of his own, stopping Legarreta 7-6 (7-5), 6-2. Fernando Sunago powerd past Roggenkamp in three sets 0-6, 6-2, 6-3. On court No. 6, Robert Allan handled Spizman, defeating him in straight sets 6-4, 7-5.
The Wolf Pack has one last road trip to Southern California on Feb. 26 before returning to Reno for five straight home matches at its home courts of Caughlin Athletic Club.
Tennis Match Results
Nevada vs Grand Canyon
Feb 17, 2014 at Tucson, Ariz.
(Paseo Racquet Center)
Nevada 7, Grand Canyon 0
- Moez Chargui (NEV) def. Nicolas Moulin (GCU) 7-6 (5), 6-7 (3), 10-6
- Victor Ouvrard (NEV) def. Ahmad Saleem (GCU) 6-0, 6-2
- Andrew Poustie (NEV) def. Adrian Legarreta (GCU) 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
- Ryan Andrada (NEV) def. Benjamin Collomb (GCU) 7-6 (6), 6-1
- Fernando Sunago (NEV) def. Alexander Roggenkamp (GCU) 0-6, 6-2, 6-3
- Robert Allan (NEV) def. Jacob Spizman (GCU) 6-4, 7-5
- Ouvrard/Allan (NEV) def. Saleem/Schueller (GCU) 8-5
- Chargui/Mege (NEV) def. Moulin/Legarreta (GCU) 8-5
- Collomb/Roggenkamp (GCU) def. Poustie/Sunago (NEV) 8-4
Match Notes: Nevada 5-1; Grand Canyon 2-3
-- @NevadaWolfPack --