Feb. 16, 2014
RENO, Nev. - The University of Nevada men's tennis team pushed its winning streak to three matches by defeating the Arizona Wildcats by a score of 5-2 on Sunday.
The Wolf Pack (4-1, 0-1 MW) got off to a hot start in its win against the Wildcats (7-5). Nevada won the doubles point by winning 2-of-3 doubles matches, then went 4-for-6 in singles to clinch the win. The day was also full of dramatics, as the Pack came back from first set losses on five of six courts to win the match. It was a team effort today, according to head coach Erik Burton.
"The guys really came together and put together a strong effort," he said. "We came out slow in singles, with the final four matches going to three sets, but we turned on the energy. We were able to win three of those four, and we want to keep the energy going tomorrow."
Victor Ouvrard and Robert Allan remained unbeaten (5-0) after dropping the duo of Mario Urquidi and Matt Dunn by a score of 6-2. The pair of Andrew Poustie and Fernando Sunago picked up its fourth win this season, dropping Naoki Takeda and Will Kneale also by a score of 6-2.
The first singles win of the day came from Ryan Andrada on court No. 5, where he took down Kneale 6-3, 6-3. The win kept Andrada unbeaten in singles play, as he is now 5-0 in the spring. Ouvrard is also unbeaten at 5-0, after he got past Kieren Thompson 3-6, 6-4, 6-1. Moez Chargui was victorious on court No. 1, where he defeated Fredrik Ask 2-6, 6-3, 6-3. The final win of the day came from Poustie, as he knocked off Naoki Takeda 2-6, 6-5 (7), 6-3.
Nevada will be in action again on Monday against Grand Canyon beginning at 11 am.
Tennis Match Results
Nevada vs Arizona
Feb 16, 2014 at Tucson, Ariz.
(LaNelle Robson Tennis Center)
Nevada 5, Arizona 2
- Moez Chargui (NEV) def. Fredrik Ask (ARIZ) 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
- Victor Ouvrard (NEV) def. Kieren Thompson (ARIZ) 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
- Andrew Poustie (NEV) def. Naoki Takeda (ARIZ) 2-6, 6-5 (7-1), 6-3
- Mario Urquidi (ARIZ) def. Quentin Mege (NEV) 6-4, 5-6 (6-8), 6-5 (7-4)
- Ryan Andrada (NEV) def. Will Kneale (ARIZ) 6-3, 6-3
- Matt Dunn (ARIZ) def. Robert Allan (NEV) 6-3, 6-4
- Fredrik Ask/Kieren Thompson (ARIZ) def. Quentin Mege/Moez Chargui (NEV) 6-1
- Victor Ouvrard/Robert Allan (NEV) def. Mario Urquidi/Matt Dunn (ARIZ) 6-2
- Andrew Poustie/Fernando Sunago (NEV) def. Naoki Takeda/Will Kneale (ARIZ) 6-2
Match Notes: Nevada 3-1 Arizona 7-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,5,1,2,3,4)
-- @NevadaWolfPack --