Fernando Sunago in action during fall 2013
Feb. 3, 2014
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. - The University of Nevada men's tennis team improved it's record to 3-1 on Monday by defeating the University of San Francisco by a score of 4-3.
The Wolf Pack (3-1, 0-1 MW) were able to snatch their second win in a row after the victory over the Dons, while San Francisco fell to 1-2. Nevada started off the day fast by winning the doubles point, and the Wolf Pack as up in the match 3-0. The Dons came surging back, but Nevada was able to fend off the charge by going 3-for-6 in singles play to clinch the match.
"It's never easy to win here at USF, it's a fight every time," said head coach Erik Burton. "We were up 3-0 but that's when the momentum started turning. We let some easy first set matches go to a third set and could not get the momentum back. They fought hard, but we need to be more aggressive when it goes to three sets."
The doubles pair of Victor Ouvrard and Robert Allan remained perfect on the season, as they move to 4-0 this spring. On Monday, they rolled past Christian Brockstedt and James Tallman 6-1. The second victory came from the duo of Fernando Sunago and Andrew Poustie, as they got past Thomas Takemoto and Germain Bahri by a score of 6-3.
Ryan Andrada is still unbeaten in singles play (4-0 this spring) after his victory over Johan Samuelsson on Monday, dropping him in straight sets 6-3, 6-4. Andrew Poustie picked up his second win in as many matches, as he stormed past Tallman 6-3, 6-2. The final victory and match clinching point came from the ITA No. 7 Mountain Region player in Ouvrard, also 4-0 this spring, as he brought down Nils Skajaa in three sets 5-6 (3), 6-4, 6-3.
Nevada fought hard in all matches on Monday, as the three singles matches that were dropped were extended into a third set. The Wolf Pack will be in action on Feb. 16 when it travels to Tuscon, Ariz. to take on Arizona.
Tennis Match Results
Nevada (3-1) vs University of San Francisco (1-2)
Feb. 3, 2014 at San Francisco, Calif.
Nevada 4, USF 3
- Saraiva/Skajaa (USF) def. Mege/Chargui (NEV) 6-5 (4)
- Allan/Ouvrard (NEV) def. Brockstedt/Tallman (CSF) 6-1
- Poustie/Sunago (NEV) def. Takemoto/Bahri (CSF) 6-3
- Bernardo Savaiva (CSF) def. Moez Chargui (NEV) 2-6, 6-5(7), 6-1
- Victor Ouvrard (NEV) def. Nils Skajaa (CSF) 5-6(3), 6-4, 6-3
- Andrew Poustie (NEV) def. James Tallman (CSF) 6-3, 6-2
- Chrisitan Brockstedt (CSF) def. Quentin Mege (NEV) 0-6, 6-3, 6-3
- Rich Van Hout (CSF) def. Robert Allan (NEV) 2-6, 6-4, 6-5 (7)
- Ryan Andrada (NEV) def. Johan Samuelsson (CSF) 6-3, 6-4
-- @NevadaWolfPack --