Feb. 1, 2014
SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. - The University of Nevada men's tennis team was victorious on Saturday, defeating Cal Poly on the road by a score of 6-1.
The Wolf Pack (2-1, 0-1 MW) got back into the win column with the victory over the Mustangs, which dropped Cal Poly to 0-5 on the year. Nevada grabbed two quick doubles victories to secure the early point, then clinched the match by winning 5-of-6 match ups in singles play. Some matches were close, but its nice to get the win according to men's head coach Erik Burton.
"We came out strong winning doubles and we started fast in singles," he said. "We let them back into the match in a few spots, but came through in all three set matches. What a huge team effort."
Nevada got wins from the first five singles positions, three needing a third set. The first win came from the No. 7 ITA Mountain Region player Victor Ouvrard, his third of the season, as he dropped Derek Klein 7-5, 6-2. Ryan Andrada also picked up his third victory on the year, as he defeated Naveen Beasley 6-3, 7-5. Andrew Poustie was able to power past Corey Pang 6-2, 6-7, 6-4 on court No. 4. Moez Chargui took down Marco Comuzzo on court No. 1 by a score of 7-5, 4-6, 7-6. The final singles victory of the day came from Quentin Mege, as he dropped Ben Donovan 5-7, 7-5, 6-3.
Nevada got two early wins in doubles, and the third match was unfinished. Ouvrard and partner Robert Allan are now 3-0 in doubles after rolling past Pang and Devin Barber 8-3. Poustie and partner Fernando Sunago were also victorious, bouncing Beasley and Donovan 8-1.
The Wolf Pack will be in action again on Monday, Feb. 3 against the University of San Francisco.
Tennis Match Results
Nevada (2-1) vs Cal Poly (0-5)
Feb. 1, 2014 at San Luis Obispo, Calif.
Nevada 6, Cal Poly 1
- Comuzzo/Thomson (CP) vs. Chargui/Mege (NEV) unfinished
- Allan/Ouvrard (NEV) def. Pang/Barber (CP) 8-3
- Poustie/Sunago (NEV) def. Beasley/Donovan (CP) 8-1
- Moez Chargui (NEV) def. Marco Comuzzo (CP) 7-5, 4-6, 7-6
- Victor Ouvrard (NEV) def. Derek Klein (CP) 7-5, 6-2
- Quentin Mege (NEV) def. Ben Donovan (CP) 5-7, 7-5, 6-3
- Andrew Poustie (NEV) def. Corey Pang (CP) 6-2, 6-7, 6-4
- Ryan Andrada (NEV) def. Naveen Beasley (CP) 6-3, 7-5
- Jurgen De Jager (CP) def. Fernando Sunago (NEV) 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,2,5,4,1,3)