Ryan Andrada in action during fall 2013
Jan. 18, 2014
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The University of Nevada men's tennis team came just short of upsetting No. 49 San Diego State on Saturday, falling by a score of 4-3.
The Wolf Pack (1-1, 0-1 MW) picked up four total wins on the day in the loss to the nationally ranked Aztecs (1-0, 1-0 MW). Nevada was 1-for-3 in dropping the doubles point, and was 3-for-6 in singles. It was a bitter loss, according to assistant coach Kristian Kuharszky.
"It was a big fight and we had our chances to win it," he said. "The guys guys showed a good effort but we just came a little short today. However, I believe the guys show a lot of promise and I am very optimistic for the season."
The No. 7 ITA Mountain Region singles player Victor Ouvrard moved to 2-0 in singles play to start the season after he notched a three-set victory over Hunter Nicholas, 3-6, 6-2, 6-1. Ouvrard now also sits at No. 7 for career singles victories at Nevada with 52, and is two shy of Dave Williams for sixth place. Fernando Sunago picked up his first win of the season, as he dropped Juan Florez in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4. The final singles victory came from Ryan Andrada, his second of the year, as he rolled past Milen Ianakiev, 6-4, 6-2.
The lone doubles win of the day came from the duo of Ouvrard and Robert Allan, as they topped Freddy Gelbrich and Hendrik Jebens, 6-5 (2-0).
The Wolf Pack will be in action again on Feb. 1, 2014 when it travels to San Luis Obispo, Calif. to take on Cal Poly at 1 p.m.
-- @NevadaWolfPack --
Tennis Match Results
Nevada vs San Diego State
Jan 18, 2014 at San Diego, Calif. (Aztec Tennis Center)
#49 San Diego State 4, Nevada 3
- #69 Thorsten Bertsch (SDSU) def. Moez Chargui (NEV-M) 6-4, 6-4
- Victor Ouvrard (NEV-M) def. Hunter Nicholas (SDSU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
- Freddy Gelbrich (SDSU) def. Andrew Poustie (NEV-M) 6-3, 6-2
- Hendrik Jebens (SDSU) def. Quentin Mege (NEV-M) 6-5 (3-0), 6-4
- Fernando Sunago (NEV-M) def. Juan Florez (SDSU) 6-4, 6-4
- Ryan Andrada (NEV-M) def. Milen Ianakiev (SDSU) 6-4, 6-2
- Thorsten Bertsch/Hunter Nicholas (SDSU) def. Quentin Mege/Moez Chargui (NEV-M) 8-3
- Victor Ouvrard/Robert Allan (NEV-M) def. Freddy Gelbrich/Hendrik Jebens (SDSU) 6-5 (2-0)
- Juan Florez/Milen Ianakiev (SDSU) def. Andrew Poustie/Fernando Sunago (NEV-M) 6-1
Match Notes: Nevada 1-1, (0-1 MW) San Diego State 1-0, (1-0 MW); National ranking #49
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,4,6,5,2,1)