Andrew Poustie in action during fall 2013
Jan. 16, 2014
RIVERSIDE, Calif. - The University of Nevada kicked off the 2014 season with a bang by defeating UC Riverside by a score of 6-1 on Thursday.
The Wolf Pack (1-0) opened the spring schedule by grabbing two doubles wins to snag the early point, and put the match away with five singles victories to close the day. There were a couple of challenges for Nevada early on in southern California, but Nevada was able to fight through them, said head coach Erik Burton.
"We had a tough first few games in doubles with the wind, plus the new scoring format," he said. "We were able to overcome, and our top five played fast and strong in singles. It was an overall solid team effort, and now we focus on No. 49 San Diego State."
They day started in doubles, where Nevada finished 2-for-3, as the third match was unfinished. Victor Ouvrard and Robert Allan paired up for the first win, as they defeated Jack Felich and Julian Ruffin by a score of 6-1. Nevada's duo of Fernando Sunago and Andrew Poustie were victorious in their match, dropping Calvin Ngo and Marcus Vizcarra by a score of 6-4.
In singles, Nevada was victorious on court Nos. 1-5, which sealed the match for the Pack. Court No. 1 saw Moez Chargui take down Jack Felich, 6-1, 6-2. The No. 7 singles Mountain Region player Victor Ouvrard topped Luis Gastao, 6-2, 6-2, while Andrew Poustie was victorious on court No. 3 against Julian Ruffin, 6-1, 6-2. Quentin Mege began where he left off in the fall of 2013, as he got past Cooper Bridge in an extended second set 6-2, 6-5 (5). The final victory of the day came from Ryan Andrada, as he dropped Calvin Ngo, 6-3, 6-4.
The Wolf Pack will be in action again on Saturday, Jan. 18 at 10 a.m. when it faces off with No. 49 San Diego State.
-- @NevadaWolfPack --
Nevada 6, UC Riverside 1
1. Bridge/Carella (UCR) vs. Charqui/Mege (NEV) 3-5 DNF
2. Ouvrard/Allan (NEV) def. Felich/Ruffin (UCR) 6-1
3. Sunago/Poustie (NEV) def. Ngo/Vizcarra (UCR) 6-4
1. Moez Chargui (NEV) def. Jack Felich (UCR) 6-1, 6-2
2. Victor Ouvrard (NEV) def. Luis Gastao (UCR) 6-2, 6-2
3. Andrew Poustie (NEV) def. Julian Ruffin (UCR) 6-1, 6-2
4. Quentin Mege (NEV) def. Cooper Bridge (UCR) 6-2, 6-5 (5)
5. Ryan Andrada (NEV) def. Calvin Ngo (UCR) 6-3, 6-4
6. Sean Yun (UCR) def. Robert Allan (NEV) 6-4, 5-6, 6-2