Nevada at New Mexico State
January 8, 2009
- With the 79-71 overtime win at New Mexico State on Thursday night, Nevada evened its record at 8-7 overall on the season and 1-1 in WAC play. The team picked up its first WAC victory of the season and won on the road in WAC play for the 27th time in its last 35 conference games away from home.
- Freshman Luke Babbitt led the team and tied his career highs in both scoring and rebounding with 22 points and 12 rebounds. It marked his fourth 20-point game of the season.
- Sophomore Armon Johnson added 20 points for his fourth 20-point contest of the year as well. He scored 14 of his 20 points in the second half and the overtime period.
- Sophomore Malik Cooke and junior Joey Shaw each tied their career bests with 10 and eight rebounds, respectively.
- Nevada outrebounded New Mexico State 51-43 and is now 5-3 when outrebounding its opponents this season. The team has outrebounded each of its last four opponents. Nevada was down 27-17 in the rebounding battle at the half but outrebounded the Aggies 34-26 in the final 25 minutes. The 51 rebounds were one shy of the team’s season high of 52 Dec. 9 vs. Sonoma State.
- The Wolf Pack also trailed 40-31 at the half and improved to 2-5 on the year when trailing at the half.
- Nevada continues WAC play on Saturday, traveling to Louisiana Tech. Saturday’s game will tip off at 2 p.m. Central (12 p.m. Pacific) and can be heard on Nevada’s radio flagship, ESPN 630 AM, and its radio affiliates throughout the state with Ryan Radtke calling the action.