Feb. 13, 2013
LARAMIE, Wyo. (AP) - Leonard Washington's 16 points, 12 rebounds, five steals and three blocks spurred Wyoming to a 68-48 win over Nevada on Wednesday night.
Derrious Gilmore added 15 points and Josh Adams had 12 for the Cowboys (17-7, 3-7 Mountain West), who snapped a five-game conference losing streak.
Riley Grabau and Gilmore each drained 3-pointers to start the second half, which put the Cowboys up 35-19. Washington's long jumper pushed the margin to 43-25 with 14:52 remaining and his dunk on a fast break made it 65-42, the widest margin, with 3:33 left.
Nevada had drawn within 47-36 after Burton stole the ball and made a floater. But Adams sparked a 9-0 spurt with two fast-break layup attempts that resulted in four free throws and he also sank a 3 to give Wyoming a 56-36 advantage.
- Nevada is 12-12, 3-7 in the Mountain West after falling 68-48 at Wyoming (17-7, 3-7 MW) tonight. The Cowboys also won the first game 59-48 earlier this season in Reno.
- Nevada is 2-8 on the road, 1-4 in MW road games.
- Wyoming leads the series 9-1 and had won the last eight meetings.
- Junior forward Kevin Panzer scored in double figures for the second consecutive game for the first time this season. Panzer has seven career double figure scoring games.
- Deonte Burton led the Pack in scoring with 13 points. It was the 14th time Burton topped the team in scoring, 20th time he scored in double figures and 11 consecutive game he reached double digits.
- Malik Story reached double figures for the 18th time this season and 70th in his career finishing with 11 points.
- Jerry Evans, Jr. led the Pack in rebounding with six tonight. Evans has topped the Pack in rebounding a team-high eight times. In seven of 10 MW games he has led the team in rebounding.
- Story and Burton both moved past Gary Hill-Thomas into 11th and 12th respectively on Nevada career scoring list. Story has 1,346 points and Burton 1,342.
- Burton and Story have started all 91 games of their careers in the Pack backcourt.
- Fourth-year head coach David Carter is 74-51 at Nevada.
- Nevada host Fresno State on Feb. 19 at 7:05 p.m.