April 7, 2014
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Nevada junior first baseman Austin Byler has earned Mountain West Baseball Player of the Week honors from March 31-April 6, 2014.
BASEBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Austin Byler, NEVADA
Junior, First Baseman, Peoria, Ariz. / Sunrise Mountain HS
• Led Nevada to a 3-2 record last week, including a 2-1 series win against Conference foe San José State over the weekend.
• Hit for an average of .438 with seven hits, six runs scored and three RBI over the five-game stretch. His slugging percentage for the week was .875, while he got on base at a .591 clip.
• Was 2-for-4 with one double in a 4-0 loss against Grand Canyon on March 31.
• Followed up with a 1-for-2 performance with one RBI in a 3-2 win against the Antelopes the next day. Was put on base twice in the game on a hit-by-pitch.
• Got on base three times with three runs scored and one double in Saturday’s 6-5 win, the second game of the doubleheader with the Spartans, after not reaching base in the 2-1 loss in game one.
• Was 3-for-3 with three runs scored and two RBI in Sunday’s series finale. Was a double short of the cycle and registered two walks in the 7-4 victory.
• Drew a walk in the ninth inning of Sunday’s game and scored the game-winning run.
• Started all five games at first base and did not commit an error in 54 total chances.