Nevada Sports Medicine At-A-Glance
The University of Nevada athletic trainers and medical staff play a major role in maintaining the health and physical well-being of all Nevada student athletes. The staff is committed to the prevention, evaluation, care and rehabilitation of injuries while working with personnel in physical therapy, strength and conditioning and nutrition.
The Sports Medicine department is part of the E.L. Cord Academic and Athletic Performance Center on the Nevada campus. This facility houses the Wolf Pack athletic training staff which consists of five full-time certified athletic trainers (ATCs), three graduate assistants (ATCs), two interns (ATCs), and a number of student athletic trainers.
The Sports Medicine department provides medical care and treatment to more than 430 Pack athletes representing 16 sports. The athletic training facility is a state of the art 5,175 square foot facility. The athletic trainers have access to some of the best technology available with a half-million dollar aquatic therapy room with two in ground plunge pools and a multi-depth therapy and exercise pool capable of accommodating multiple athletes at the same time while working on separate rehabilitation programs. The facility also boasts a separate functional rehabilitation area, ice/wet room and storage facilities.
The athletic training staff is led by Shelly Germann, Assistant Athletic Director for Sports Medicine and includes Associate Directors of Sports Medicine Jay Henke and Ben Anguish, Head Football Athletic Trainer and Assistant Athletic Trainers Ryan Averett and Cody Zimmerman.
Dr. Carol Scott is the Wolf Pack's team physician, Director of the Nevada Sports Medicine and Director of the UNSOM Sports Medicine Fellowship program. She works closely with dozens of community partners to provide world class medical care to Nevada's student athletes. The list of the community partners and fellowship faculty starts with the athletic training room's next door neighbor, the Nevada Physical Therapy clinic.
The Nevada Physical Therapy clinic is an outpatient physical therapy clinic staffed with six registered physical therapists, four ATC's and other staff to provide health care and rehabilitation services.
Great Basin Orthopedics physician consultants for the Wolf Pack include Dr. Hilary Malcarney, Dr. Rick Mullins, Dr. Travis Kieckbusch and Dr. Chris Dolan. Great Basin Orthopedics physicians provide comprehensive orthopedic surgery services.
Dr. Donald Huene of Orthopedic Surgical Associates is the orthopedic hand specialist for the Wolf Pack
Nevada Sports Medicine Community Partners
- Great Basin Orthopedics
- Nevada Orthopedics
- Orthopedic Surgical Associates-Dr. Huene
- Sierra Regional Spine Institute
- Northern Nevada Cardiology
- UNR Campus Pharmacy
- UNR Student Health Center
- Dr. Scott Hall UNSOM Family Medicine/Sports Medicine
- Dr. Todd Fountain UNR Student Health Center
- Dr. Cheryl Hug-English UNR Student Health Center
- Dr. Cathy Endo UNR Student Health Center
- Dr. Yeggy Miller UNR Student Health Center
- Dr. Chris Mathis UNR Student Health Center
- UNSOM Family Medicine Center
- UNSOM Center for Nutrition and Metabolic
- Disorders-Maureen Molini
- Dr. Yani Dickens (UNR Sports Psychology)
- Reno Radiological Associates-Dr. James Welch
- Dr. C. Craig Karrasch (Podiatry)
- Dr. Tracy Giambrone (Podiatry)
- Dr. Merle Bruce (Otolaryngology)
- Dr. Matthew Mills (Ophthalmology)
- Dr. Alison Westfall (Obstetrics and Gynecology)
- Dr. Michael Song (Neurosurgery)
- Dr. Michael Lucia (Pulmonology)
- Dr. Malin Prupas (Rheumatology)
- Dr. Frieda Hulka (Western Surgical Group)
- Nevada Physical Therapy
- Tahoe Truckee Medical Group
- Dr. Bradford Lee (Emergency Medicine)
- Dr. Ron Hicks (Family Medicine/Sports Medicine)
- Dr. Andrew Pasternak (Family Medicine/Sports Medicine)
- Dr. Nina Winans (Family Medicine/Sports Medicine)
- Dr. Amy Llewellyn (Pathology and Laboratory Medicine)
- Dr. Jeff Angermann (Exercise Physiology and Sports Performance)
- Family Eyecare Associates
- Dr. Kenneth Vaughn (Dentistry)
- Sala Family Dentistry
- Saint Mary's
- Dr. Mark Michitsch (Eye Zone)
- Dr. Randall Iwasiuk (Endodontics)
STAR OF THE WEEK
Feb. 1 - Feb. 7
Mitchell Van Patten
Freshman Mitchell Van Patten placed fifth of out 36 competitors in the smallbore at the Patriot Rifle Conference Championships in Fort Worth, Texas this past weekend. Van Patten has the top smallbore and aggregate scores on the team this season. The Wolf Pack finished fifth in a field that included six top 20 teams.
View all 2015-16 honorees.
WOLF PACK BLOG
Monday, June 29, 2015 - Women's Basketball
Monday, June 8, 2015
Thursday, May 28, 2015 - General
Thursday, May 21, 2015 - Golf
Monday, March 9, 2015 - Football
Friday, March 6, 2015
Friday, January 30, 2015 - General
Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - Rifle
Tuesday, January 6, 2015 - Track and Field
Monday, January 5, 2015 - General
Tuesday, December 23, 2014 - Track and Field
Saturday, December 13, 2014 - General
Friday, December 5, 2014 - Football
Monday, November 17, 2014 - Football
Monday, November 10, 2014 - Women's Basketball