Academics Staff | Compliance | Academic Policies & Procedures | Life Skills | Marguerite Wattis Petersen Academic Center | Prospective Student-Athletes | SAAC | University Academic Calendar | University Directory
Life Skills Program for Student Athletes
What is the Life Skills Program?
The program was developed by the NCAA to better prepare student-athletes to meet the challenges of life beyond the playing field. It is committed to providing support for the Student -Athlete's development in five areas. Each area has a commitment statement which outlines the support provided.
"The mission of the Life Skills Program is to provide a systematic personal development program designed to reach each student-athlete based on his or her individual needs. The focus of the program is on the individual as a whole person, academically, athletically and emotionally and on the changing needs of that individual during college and in the years after graduation"
- The NCCA Foundation Life Skills Program Commitment Statements
Commitment to Academic Excellence
To support the academic progress of the student-athlete toward intellectual development and graduation.
Commitment to Athletic Excellence
To build philosophical foundations for the development of athletics programs that are broad-based, equitable and dedicated to the well-being of the student-athlete.
Commitment to Personal Development
To support the development of a well-balanced lifestyle for student-athletes, encouraging emotional well-being, leadership, personal growth and decision-making skills.
Commitment to Career Development
To encourage the student-athlete to develop and pursue career and life goals.
Commitment to Service
To engage the student-athlete in service to his/her campus and surrounding communities.
At NEVADA, the program will provide programs and guidance to address the five commitments.
- Time Management
- Stress management
- Integrity Development
- Managing Interpersonal Relationships
- Career Exploration
- Assistance in Academic and Career Decision Making
- Provision of Career Exploration Resources
- Job Search Guidance
- Resume Writing and Critique
- Interview Skills and Mock Interview
- Graduate School Guidance
- How to Research Schools and Programs
- Application Steps
- Nevada prides itself on its student-athletes not only for their excellence in their sport but their dedication to supporting the people of the Reno/Sparks area.
- Through community service the student-athlete gains many competencies that apply to the world outside of athletics, experiences the satisfaction of giving to others or community service projects.
- Last year, the Wolf Pack logged in more than 2400 community service hours.
- The Athletes help with sports camps and clinics, elementary schools and various events that support the citizens in the community such as the Race for the Cure, Washoe County Habitat for Humanity, food banks and soup kitchens.
Laura Scott, Coordinator of Student-Athlete Affairs is responsible for the Life Skills Program.
STAR OF THE WEEK
Junior T Moe made history during Friday night's season-opening win over UC Santa Barbara by collecting the program's first triple-double. The 5-8 guard kicked off her season by posting 19 points and career-highs with 12 rebounds and 11 assists to capture the feat, the 10th to be done in the Mountain West. Moe made a strong push for her triple-double in the second half of action, tallying 13 of her 19 points in that half. Nine of her 11 assists were passes inside that led to Nevada's dominance in the paint where the Wolf Pack outscored the Gauchos by 24 points.
WOLF PACK BLOG
Monday, November 17, 2014 - Football
Monday, November 10, 2014 - Women's Basketball
Wednesday, October 29, 2014 - Swimming & Diving
Tuesday, October 28, 2014
Friday, October 17, 2014 - Women's Basketball
Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - Rifle
Monday, October 13, 2014 - Golf
Thursday, October 9, 2014 - Football
Wednesday, October 8, 2014
Monday, September 29, 2014 - Men's Basketball
Monday, September 22, 2014 - Football
Tuesday, September 9, 2014 - Men's Tennis
Friday, August 22, 2014 - General
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - Baseball
Thursday, August 14, 2014